Josh Braaten at Big Picture Web:
- Always be helpful and be honest in anything you write.
- Speak thoughtfully and be nice. Your posts will be in Google for a long time.
- Don’t constantly try to sell your products, but be clear about it when you do.
- Don’t be afraid to stand out and have an opinion. Those on the fence are forgotten.
- Ask questions to help promote comments from your visitors. Most successful blogs are discussions, not just one person’s thoughts.
- Share great content within your niche by tirelessly promoting the work of others.
- If you make a mistake, fess up immediately. Failure is expected some of the time.
It’s a good list if you haven’t already established some blogging guidelines. Comments are optional, in my opinion, but they work well for many sites, obviously. Nothing is set in stone, but you should define the playbook for your own site.
I found this list in Josh’s ebook The Complete Guide to Blogging with Squarespace.